Q. Why don´t you use e-mail
A. (1) deluge of spam & viruses with e-mail (2) non - 100% e-mail reliability (3) Faula message system appeals & only to those who genuinely want to know more about La Faula (4) The Nickname & Password permit content to be reserved only for guests & not made available to the whole world!
 
Q. Is the message system also advantageous for guests?
A.It is reliable so people writing to us can be sure that we will receive their message. It is also convenient because it permits guests to keep all their booking & other information concerning their stay at La Faula in one place.
 
Q. What does ´La Faula´ mean?
A. Fàule in Friulano - derived from fagula - meaning "beech tree grove" & referring to a colder time when beech trees grew at lower altitudes. First written reference 1550-1588 - "Woods of Fàule". Faula is found at the base of Gion - the hill which today comprises the farm. Gion derives from the Lombard "bandit territory". Chei de Fàule in Friulano - "Them of La Faula"
 
Q. How old is the existing house?
A. The existing house comprises the original structure built at the end of the 1800´s, the addition for the old wine canteen of the 1920´s, the stalls added in the 1930´s, the closure of the covered porch at the back of the house in the 1970´s & the addition of the Agriturismo bedrooms in the old granary & hayloft in 1999. The existing house was built upon a previous structure of which little is known.
 
Q. Have there been any interesting historical finds at La Faula?
A. (1) in 2005 soil samples taken by a Regional Agricultural Body to ascertain the amount of copper in the soil (part of the transfer to organic agriculture) found ,at the depth of one meter, brick chippings from a Roman brickworks at the base of the hill. The valley from Ravosa to Attimis was, during Roman times, the site of numerous brickworks & kilns using the local clay to make bricks for Aquileia & Concordia. Subsequent smoothing work by an excavator exposed ancient brick shards in a large area beside the first hole of the golf practice green.
(2) In the woods at the top of the hill of La Faula are the remains of the machine-gun nest where, during WWII, local partisans would fire upon German army traffic before retreating back into the mountains. Machine gun duels were also fought with German soldiers mounted in the Church bell-tower.
 
Q. Who owned La Faula before you?
A. Previously, La Faula was owned by Luca´s family. Luca´s father, Franco, spent part of WWII at Ravosa with relatives to avoid the bombing of Udine (Udine was a key rail-link to Southern Germany). From the 1920´s until 1958 La Faula was farmed by sharecroppers working the land owned by Venetian nobility. In the 1930´s-40´s La Faula hosted 3 brothers & their families totalling 30 persons. As a child, during the war, it was Franco´s dream one day to own La Faula. When he recounted this to the people of the street in Ravosa where he lived, they laughed, seeing in it only a child´s impossible dreams. In 1958, however, Franco bought La Faula, it having been abbandoned in the wave of industrialisation of the 1950´s & the abolition of share-cropping.
 
Q. What wildlife is there at La Faula?
A. Wild boar, small deer, foxes, badgers &, very occasionally, the European Jackal. Great Buzzards & passing Storks are the grandest of the birds & the exceptional Griffon can sometimes be seen circling at extremely high altitudes above the hill. The woods & pasture provide habitat for numerous small & migratory birds. The common grass-snake & water snakes are common but shy & rarely seen. The viper, however, is never seen but probably can be found in natural rock walls far away from human activity.
 
Q. What kind of dogs are Minnie, Spotty & Barty?
A. They are Maremmano Sheepdogs - historically they stayed alone with the sheep protecting them from predators (animal & human) & the sheep would stay by the dog for protection. They are used today in the mountains of Friuli to keep the European Brown Bear away from the sheep.