The production of earthen building material both in Friuli and abroad represented for the whole of the 1800's the main economic source of living for the inhabitants of a Region where poverty led almost inevitabily to 'forced' emigration. There are many explanations on why the Friulian people made a living from the producion of earthen building materials, but undoubtedly the main reason was that since antiquity brick and roof-tile production was widespread all over the Region of Friuli. The remains of Roman, Renaissance and 1700's kilns are scattered all over the Region and new ones come to light still.
In the village of Buja at the end of the 1800's there existed seven kilns for the production of bricks and lime, of which one was kept burning around the clock. Of the family run kilns, the most important was that of the Calligaro Family which was destroyed in 1976 by the earthquake, even though the site and its ruins still exist. The kiln built in 1853 by the Calligaro Brothers was defined as a provisional countryside kiln ('forno provvisorio di campagna'). The term 'provisional' did not mean 'temporary', but stemmed from the Medieval Latin 'provisorium', meaning that the provision of bricks took place as they were ordered. The remains of this kiln is a monument to 19th century wit, techniques and technology which the Municipality of Buja is trying hard to preserve. The bricks that cover the floor of the La Faula dining room and fireplace ('fogolar', the traditional Friulian fireplace) come from the fornace Calligaro in Buja and they were baked by the last of the Calligaro, Pietro, in 1969-1970 shortly before the earthquake destroyed the kiln and the man died of old age.